This adventuring gig
came along at the perfect time, as running short cons in a small village is a losing proposition. I joined up with my buddy Ivan the fortune-card
reader and Takeshi the soldier. I regret even getting to know their names, as
Ivan died horribly after a hell-jackal ripped out his throat on the banks of
Big Lake while Takeshi was eviscerated by The Hound that haunts Hirot. The only
reason I'm alive is luck and the direct intervention of our Wolf-Mother cleric, Varg!. Probably I owe him
more than just a beer.
After our unexpected
success fighting The Hound (Kain is a stone-cold killer, do not mess with Kain)
we made it back to Hirot. Quickly spotting my kind of people busy gambling, I
joined the game and promptly quadrupled my money. It was a good sign.
After some discussion
we decided to visit the supposed Witch who lives near the Jarl's hall. Imagine
our surprise when it turned out to be a REAL WITCH, I'm not even joking. She
talked to us IN OUR HEADS and her modest hut was enormous on the inside.
The Good: she didn't
turn us into scarecrows or set us on fire.
The Bad: although she
told us we needed to bind the Beast using a net woven from the hair of dead
men, and offered to do that for us...Varg! turned down her marriage
proposal. So if this all goes south,
it's kind of on him.
After more discussion
we set off for Ulfhenor’s Tomb. Joining us were Varg!'s new converts Llore' the Bard, Broegan
the Innkeeper
and his daughter Valatress. Dag the hunter's son was our guide.
Initially all went
well, we found the tomb and suspected it was warded by the creeks, streams, and
rivulets that surrounded it. I went to check it out...and soon my mind was far
away, mesmerized by the water itself. I might have died like that, staring at
the water, but Kain pushed me out of the way and broke the spell. Unfortunately this put him in danger, as a
large serpent made entirely of water rose up and demanded to know what gift
we'd brought for him. When nothing was
offered, he engulfed the dwarf with no warning.
Sensing the need for
quick action, and showing great mental alacrity, Varg! summoned an
animal--a sheep. Moira flew into action,
dwarfhandling the sheep like she owned it and rushing Kain with her shield. Kain
was thrown clear with a few bruises and the sheep was left in the Water-Naga to
drown. Finally understanding, I yelled out, "Take this gift! Accept this
sacrifice!" and IT WORKED. The
sheep was accepted and engulfed, and we were free to pass.
The dwarves moved the
massive stone seal out of the opening, and we entered the gloomy tomb. Moving
down the hall we stopped upon reaching a depression with slick, angled sides
leading into a pool of dark water. How
to get across? Suddenly we were under
attack! The Jarl had sent a squad of archers after us, and they were
firing into the hall. They were accurate, and our party began to fall at a
rapid pace. Bartimus went down and Varg! went to bind his wounds; Oro fell and
I ran up to stop her bleeding and use her body as cover. Broegan died as
well as Llore' and Dag! The
floor was slick with blood before the dwarves took a huge gamble and hacked at
the ceiling to cause a small cave-in, blocking the archers but promising a fun
digging time for us when it was time to
leave.
We took a breath of
relief...only to have our nostrils filled with the stench of rot and
decay! A hideous undead creature, that I
thought lived only in the bedtime stories my gang boss used to tell me, had
risen up from the pit and dragged itself to Valatress. I had a moment of warning from Oro who saw or
sensed the creature, but Valatress did
not, and he twisted her head around making an awful, wet cracking noise. Kain,
Moira and myself surrounded the creature and attacked, but all might have been
lost if Paug had not emerged from the deep shadows to fire a dart from his
blowgun. The dart moved at both
impossible speed and slow motion, captivating us all, until it crashed into the
skull of the creature, wrecking its skull and blowing out the front of the face
in a thick yellow spray.
I was partially in
shock, thinking it could not get any worse and wishing I was trying to con Old
Man Jenkins for the fifth time back in
Townsville, when A HIDEOUS SERPENT EMERGED FROM THE BODY OF THE UNDEAD CREATURE! Surely my eyes must have bulged out like the
crotch of my padded armor. Again we
surrounded this new foe and laid into it mightily. Varg! frightened the hell out of us by
suddenly booming out "LEAVE!" in a voice normally reserved for gods. The serpent attempted to
leave out the sealed exit, and Oro killed it dead.
THEN, finally, it was
time to relax. We broke open some ale, fired up some pipeweed and gathered up
the treasure...which consisted of
looting our dead acquaintances as well as the undead/serpent creature. This was
most relaxing and enjoyable, and made everything worthwhile.
I was reminded again of some things my
old gang boss used to say:
"Loot 'em if you
got 'em."
"A Looted Body
in hand is worth 2 in the bush."
"They will be
missed. Now loot them."
In case I haven't mentioned it, this was quite the excellent retelling.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Sarah!
ReplyDelete